WELCOME TO THE CITY OF MONTROSE
THE CAMPGROUND IS OPEN FOR THE 2023 SEASON
The Campground is open from April 1st through October 31st (weather permitting).
Update: Our amazing volunteer campground host, Dave, is returning for another year, and he has graciously agreed to take reservations prior to the start of the camping season. If you're looking to make reservations for the 2023 season, please follow the instructions below. Note that there are no refunds and no date transfers. Payment must be received to confirm your reservation. You must talk with Dave prior to making a payment.
To reserve camp sites through our campground host:
1. Call Campground Host Dave at 605-480-1999
2. Once the campsite is reserved, prepayment of $25 per night must be made within 2 days either via the Online Payments* page on the city website, or by dropping payment in the drop box at the City Office (not at the campground).
* One (1) night - $25
*Seven (7) nights - $150
*Seasonal / Annual Site - $2000
3. If you are having issues paying online, be sure to click the box under the convenience fee to accept it and put any number in the confirmation number field. If you are still having issues see the Online Payments page for additional info and the Municipay support phone number to call (1- 877-590-5097).
4. FOR CAMPGROUND RESERVATIONS: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CALLED AND MADE A RESERVATION WITH DAVE PRIOR TO PAYING ONLINE. You must reserve through Dave, as the PAYMENT SYSTEM IS COMPLETELY SEPARATE FROM THE RESERVATION SYSTEM.
5. Prepayment is required to hold the reservation. No refunds and No Transfers to different dates.
6. If payment is not received within 2 days of placing the reservation, the reservation will be cancelled.
To camp without a reservation:
It is rare that all spots will be full, so if you have not made a reservation in advance, give Dave a call at 605-480-1999 to check availability.
If you camp without a prepaid reservation, please fill out a receipt and pay at the campground where there is a drop box on the east side of the bath house. Place your receipt and payment in an envelope and put in the drop box. Place the smaller portion of the receipt on the post at your campsite. Rates are $25 per night.
If you have any questions, call Campground Host.
Pioneer Campground offers pull through sites with electrical and water hook-ups. There is also a bath house with handicap accessibility. A dump station is available on the north side of the bath house. There is a walking path that circles the pool area and follows along the Vermillion River. The newest addition will also take you to the softball park area.
There are 40 sites: Five pull-through. The remaining are back-in. Some sites are 30 amp, others are 50 amp.
Hungry? Stop by the Office Bar or My Place for food and drinks for breakfast (My Place) lunch and dinner. ATM availablity and ICE availability. *Office Bar *My Place
117 W Main Street Corner of Main and 1st Street
Facebook: Office Bar Facebook: My Place mobile cafe' & My place Montrose SD
Hours: Sunday (Closed) Hours: Sunday 8am - 2pm
Monday (Closed) Monday (Closed)
Tuesday 11am - 9pm Tuesday (Closed)
Wednesday 11am - 10pm Wednesday 8am - 2pm
Thursday 11am - 11pm Thursday 8am - 2pm
Friday 11am - 2am Friday 8am - 2pm + 5pm - 9pm
Saturday 11am - 12am Saturday 8am - 2pm + 5pm - 9pm
Want to cool off at the pool? Enjoy the day at the Montrose Community Pool next to the campground. Daily admission costs $3 per person. Admission is no longer included in the cost of camping. See the Pool page on the city website for more details.
Need Fuel or snacks? Stop at Montrose Gas Plus on the corner of 1st Avenue and Main Street. You can also buy some essential groceries, like milk and bread. Stop in and restock your cooler or camper before you hit the road.
Need a Bank or Post Office? Security State Bank and the Post Office are located on Main Street to the west of Montrose Gas Plus.
See the Local Businesses page for more information.
Thank you for visiting the City of Montrose! We hope you enjoy your stay!
View looking east.
View looking west.
Approximately 7 miles south of Montrose is the Lake Vermillion recreation area. It is great for water recreation of all kinds. Park sticker is required for access to the camping areas.